I am looking to upgrade the base on my savage model 10. The factory base won't mount square to the receiver, and I would like to get a base with more elevation. I use the rifle for long range precision shooting. Its a light caliber: 6.5 Creed. I have Seekins low Rings (Aluminum) and a Burris XTR II 4-20x50 34mm tube scope. Would like to spend less than $100. All the bases I am looking at have 20 moa of elevation.

Big question is aluminum vs. Steel? Of course alum is lighter weight, and steel is stronger. Does the strength/rigidity of the steel make a big difference? Help accuracy?

I would like the base to be low profile. The Savage factory base is beefy and my optic sits a little higher than I would like. The models I am considering are:

1) Leupold MK4 (Steel) $70- a big selling point on this base is that it accepts the std 6-48 screws and 8-40 screws. If it turns out that my base is not the problem (base wont mount square to reciever) and I need to have my receiver redrilled I imagine this will be a handy feature. This base is also the lowest priced steel base I have found. Dont know much about Leupolds reputation regarding bases. Not a "top of the line" name like Badger, NF, and Seekins.

2) TPS-XP (Steel) model # 20302 - retails for $90, I found a blem for $73- appears to be the lowest profile of the options listed, based on the photos.

3) Nightforce Standard Duty (Aluminum) $57

4) Seekins Precision (Aluminum) $95

5) Nightforce 1-Piece (Steel) $116 - a little over my budget. If its a substantial upgrade from the above models I would consider it.

Any advice or insight folks can offer would be great. Thanks