Wasnt quite sure which sub forum this would be appropriate for, so I figured that here is easiest.

Anyway, I stuck a round in my 308 a couple weeks ago and need confirmation on how to safely remove it. Rifle is a Savage model 10 with Criterion barrel. Round in question is a reload. All brass is batch processed in 500 round lots to avoid any major variances. Brass is sized, trimmed and tumbled in this operation. At this point in time Im about 350 pieces into this batch of brass and have had no issues. Im a fairly experienced reloader, ran about 8000 rounds last year, so this isnt my first rodeo on that end.

What happened was the round chambered easily enough, but the bolt closed a bit stiffer than normal. I raised the bolt handle but round would not extract. Tapped on bolt handle, and the extractor slipped off head of round, leaving the round stuck in the chamber.

Now, to remove the live round. Im not worried about setting off the round if I tap on the tip of the bullet from the muzzle end. Plans are to use a 1/4" (.250") brass rod with a small divot drilled into the end to slip over the tip off the bullet, and gently tap the round from the chamber. Ill also likely use black electrical tape every 6-8" wrapped on the brass rod to keep the rod from flexing. Ill obviously point the rifle in a safe direction while doing this.

Does this sound like a safe/sane idea?