So I have a crazy idea I think I'm going to try. I wanted to get some thoughts on it.

I have a Mossberg MVP Patrol in 308 I ended up with on a trade. It has the 16" barrel and A2 flash hider. Its a nice rifle but I have a couple of complaints. Mostly the lack of aftermarket support for personalizing it to my needs. That being said, I love how it handles with the short barrel. It is very quick and nimble. The 10 round DBM is nice but they are a sloppy fit and the release is cumbersome.

I had thought about buying a Hog Hunter to modify but it just hasn't happened.

I was looking around on a certain auction site and came across a guy with some Striker 516 barrels for sale. It got me thinking a bit. I started looking in to the accuracy these guys are getting and was very impressed.

Here are my thoughts and am seeking some advice. Is there any reason one would recommend against mounting a 14" barrel with a 2" break permanently mounted on the end. That would keep it nice and legal but also very short. I would like a super-light brush gun for the back country. It will probably be magazine fed and in something like the M40 Bell and Carlson stock. It will not be a long range hunter by any means. That said, I spend time in the mountains where its not uncommon to come across brown bear and mountain-lion (not to mention the occasional illegal immigrant with a Marijuana grow.)

Any thoughts or suggestions?