Thread: Comparison of the ballistic superiority of 6.5 CM

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Team Savage

Comparison of the ballistic superiority of 6.5 CM

I will start by saying I own 2 6.5 CM's. When I bought the first one, I really didnt understand what I was buying. I knew it was the new hot load and every one seemed to agree. And even better I was able to buy a limited produced rifle, giving it that "oooooh" factor. After that it was start out where most do. In the middle of the load tables and start searching for a round my rifle liked to shoot.

Didnt take long, mabey two trips to the range and I settled on a load that seemed to pile into a nice ragged hole. So check on that!

In the meantime I purchased a custom 260 with remy action. I.. make this short. The barrels are exactly the same as in same maker, same taper, same twist rate, and length. The 260 uses about 42.6 grains of powder and the 6.5 only uses 42.1 grains of the same powder. LESS IN CM BY .5 GRS.

So basically the same barrel, action, the exact same projectile. The only difference is caliber and therefore case shape and internal powder capacity.

She shoots the CM
    I shoot the 260. I picked it I must say that 1. it is a nice shooting rifle and I already had 2 CMs

So here is my observation in real world loading and shooting between the two calibers.

CM takes less powder, produces more velocity out of the gate, is a flatter shooter there fore leaving quite a bit more elevation adjustment left in your turret. Just shooting at just a bit over 500 I am using 6 to 7 tenths of a mil more to hit the same target.

Not sure I can beat her when we get way out there. Gonna have to give her some bad loads or something. lol
    Last edited by doctnj; 07-10-2016 at 10:29 PM.