After shooting some friend's Savages (not B Mags), I bought a package at the local Cabela's that included a Burris 4-12 x 40 scope and a blued fluted heavy barrel. Then I started to read this forum.
Obviously, I should have done it the other way around given the number of complaints I've read on this forum.
All I have done so far is borrow my friends bronze brush (needs replacing) and cleaning rod to thoroughly clean the barrel before the first shoot. It was surprisingly cruddy. Next, I tried loading the included mag and the extra one I bought.
Just as many have said, they don't load easy, certainly not like Ruger's rotary mags. The trick seems to be to push a new cartridge in at a slightly oblique angle (or help rotate the internals with a finger a bit) in order to load from round 3 on. Loaded one mag with American Eagle 20gr and the other with Winchester 25 gr. Same story.
Next, I began to cycle the bolt, pulling back smartly to eject. On both mags I had several failures to feed and failures to eject. Good first impression. And yes, the stock is crap!
I have new brushes, cleaning rod, etc. on order from Brownells so the gun is pristine before the first range trip, and so I can break it in properly (or have the barrel lapped) and clean after I shoot.
With all of the bad press this thing gets, I'm wondering if I shouldn't just return the ****ed thing to Cabelas and exchange for a Ruger 77/17.
After all, I haven't shot it but have cleaned it somewhat, One thing's for sure.... If I have to buy a new stock, have it put on properly, get a new trigger, new barrel, I'm getting rid of this thing and will buy a gun that works.
Typed in my serial number at Savages website to see when the gun was made. Link doesn't work. Asked a question of Customer Service 2 days ago about how the bolt seems loose. Still no response. Had to call.
I think my post title says it all.