Hi all,

New to the group.

I was considering buying a new Savage 10 to swap small shank barrels and old style nuts on. When I went to the store yesterday, I see the new ones have a smooth barrel nut, and the guys at the store didn't know anything about it. I couldn't tell which barrel the FP-SR had. I saw the Axis still has the familiar barrel nut.

Are these still small shank (223, 308) for all the models? Mainly interested in FP-SR or Hog Hunter for the threaded barrel.

I have a 308 I bought new about 2010 (no threaded barrel). My buddy's 24" was so accurate, I bought the other one at the store. It was a law enforcement model in 308 with 20" barrel. Model FP something. Still in safe unfired. I am away from home so I can't take a look at it. I remember it has a heavy barrel, Accu-Trigger, and I think a blind magazine.. I was going to leave this one as it came from the factory, but now considering using it to swap barrels, if it is a small shank.

Can anyone say for sure if it would be a small shank?

If I want to change from 308 to 223/300BLK, besides the bolt, do I also change out the magazine follower? Any thing else?

Also, if I buy the 223, can it be easily converted to 308? I am confused by reading the 308 has 4.4" bolt spacing and the 223 has 4.275" Gussing the 4.275 is too short for the 308 magazine?

Any reason why I shouldn't use the one I already have for barrel swaps?

Thanks for your input.

JoeC