I'm new to this Forum but have been enjoying your threads for over 5 months now. There are a lot of very knowledgeable folks here and I'd like to see if what I'm doing makes any sense.

I bought a Savage Model 110 FXP in .270 Win.

I ditched the original barrel and purchased a .308 barrel with an aligned brake on it and it looks great. I then bought all of the "necessary" ingredients to switch out the .270 for the .308. Took it to the range and got one "bang" and gave up after 9 or 10 failures-to-fire.

Bought a new firing pin and .308 bolt head, reassembled everything and it seems like I'm getting a louder "click" on the trigger pull than before (when I had the old parts in the action).

I've checked and rechecked the head spacing with .308 Go - No Go gauges. Thus, the chamber "seems" like it has the correct distance between the barrel and the bolt. I can see and feel the firing pin

Does anyone have any thoughts before I go back to the range? Does it sound like I'm about to blow myself up? Did I forget a major/minor item that will cause my loss of external/internal body parts?

Thank you for any thoughts.