It will probably be a year down the line before I start putting this together, just starting to think about the details. I've always been a long barrel guy, and recently been impressed enough with fat aftermarket barrels that I'm thinking about a short varmint contour barrel on a short actions, ending up with something that is still light to carry hunting. Don't know what ending weight I could expect?

There are some threads on 18" barrels - but I'm thinking about going down to minimum 16" barrel. Something like a 12 FV, thinking about 7-08 or one of the 6.5 flavor short action cartridges. I'm leaning toward the 7-08 more than the 6.5's at this time. When I start thinking about the 6.5's my mind wanders to the quarter bore as well. Anticipate scoping it with the Leupold 2.5-8 VX III that I have on the shelf. Since I'm thinking about heavy short barrel to get a light(ish) gun, I might pop for a McMillan Edge stock as well.

So anyone have an idea what weight I would end up at either bare or scoped? Can I keep the weight down by chopping the barrel and maintain a heavier profile? Not looking to get into the 6's, but would like to be in the 7's, if possible?

I'm not looking to end up with a featherweight gun - just a manageable weight hunting rifle without using a sporter barrel. As stated, I have 0 experience with short barrel guns - what are some thoughts?