I bought my kids a savage axis 243 win youth rifle. I bought it because of the caliber and because it was cheap and didn’t know how much they would shoot it, so I thought a cheap rifle would be fine. Even though the gun was cheap I cannot believe how accurate that action is with the ammo I like to use.

I really liked the caliber (good on deer, not much recoil, and cheap ammo) and decided I wanted a 243win as well. I tried many different rifles but there always seemed to be something that didn’t grab me e.g. how the stock fit, trigger, how the bolt cycled etc...

The kids didn’t take to the 243win preferring other rifles, so I decided since it was an accurate rifle that I would get a few mods added boyd stock, a rail and timney trigger,

I am really happy with the result and I am starting to look at my next rifle purchase a bit differently. The idea is that I want an action that shoots the bullets I want to use accurately, When I have that I can get a boyd stock (can even custom the lop, recoil pad) and trigger that will make a great rifle for me. Rather than trying a more expensive rifle that fits well but how it shoots the bullets you want to use is unknown. Just my thoughts.