I'm buying a gun in .308, because:

1) My "big" guns are now all 30 caliber, so I'm not currently interested in stocking components for 6/6.5/7MM

2) I have dies, powder, brass etc. from shooting my M1A, even though they'll have a slightly different load
3) I can readily purchase factory ammo if needed
4) I plan to take this rifle hunting at some point

All of the above being said, which rifle in your opinion is the better buy: The 10P-SR in 16-18" ($522), or the FCP-SR in 20" ($598).

I like the shorter barrel of the P, but I've been lead to believe that the FCP uses AICS-pattern magazines, which is nice (true/false?).

I was under the impression that regardless of which I buy, the stock is very likely making a short trip to a dumpster in favor of a McMillan or similar. When I replace the stock, will that change which magazines I can use? I've never taken one of these apart before.

I do have a suppressor rated for 300WinMag that will occasionally be used with this rifle.

I intend to take this hunting, but the kind of hunting I have to do in this area usually involves sitting in a glorified tree house shooting down a lane through the woods that's 15 feet wide, and 300+ yards long. I don't mind the gun being heavy since it's a short walk from the road.

What say you, community?