Okay, I've been chasing accuracy for quite a while. Reloaded several hundred rounds with different charges, bullet weights, bullet types, powder, etc. Finally changed out the factory barrel with a longer varmint barrel and got better results. Now I'm trying to get down to bug holes at 100. I bought a Hornady head space gauge which is really a bump gauge and measured my new to me Lake City brass as well as my own once fired brass. I was amazed to find that case length to the shoulder was very inconsistent.

When I full length resized a few rounds I found out that I was not bumping the shoulder back at all! I loosened the lock ring on my sizing die and started to lower it 1/4 turn at a time until I got consistent measurements from the resize operation. Then I trimmed the length, and prepped the case mouth, cleaned out the flash hole from the inside with a tool and cleaned out the primer pockets. Now all of those cases are at least identical as far as exterior dimensions are concerned.

Then I decided to weigh the cases to see if there was much difference in the weight and by extension case volume. Sadly there is and it has quite a spread. I was hoping to find one weight with enough cases in the braket to allow me to load up several test rounds but that is proving to be futile. My question now is how much difference will a tenth of a grain in case weight make in accuracy? I can't think it would be much. I'll find out anyway after I've processed more brass and weighed it out into lots of case weights. Just figured I'd ask in the meantime to see if anyone has an idea.
Thanks again.