Down the road I am going to set up a new to me Savage LRH in 338 Lapua with a McRrees stock and a heavy stainless barrel. I know there are a bunch of you guys out there that have done all the "thinking" and the hands on "doing" on this so I would like to see what you would recommend. Back when I used to frequent this site almost every day, the choices for Savage prefits was pretty small, I think about 4 companies. With all the choices today it is kind of bewildering. All I have shot before were Pac-Nor, ER-Shaw and Hart barrels. All three of them would give me sub 1/2 MOA with handloads.

• Will be shooting at 600-1500 meters once or twice a month, from the prone position on a bipod as well as from the bench.
  • I prefer the 250 to 300 grain bullet weights (Best twist for that range?)
  • The factory recoil lug LOOKS way better than my other Savage rifles. Is it tough enough to hold up or should I replace it with something else?
  • The Barrel Nut is smooth, I prefer slotted. Is a factory slotted nut an OK option and if yes, where do I get one, or does someone make heavier construction / better barrel nuts?
  • The stock trigger is excellent. I don't feel the need to replace it.
  • I like the Armalite brake better than the Savage as it feels to me to give much better recoil reduction, albeit more back blast. Can I buy the Armalite brake to fit the Savage threads? I plan on keeping the factory brake on the factory barrel for converting it back to a hunting gun each fall.

My Armalite AR-30 in 338 Lapua shoots 1/2 to 3/4 MOA for three shots from a cold barrel with 250 SMKs. I won't be very happy unless my new barrel on the Savage consistently hits 1/2 MOA or better. I am capable of shooting that size groups if the gun will. Have shot some groups on the teens with other rifles.

Please school me as to what brand of barrel, twist rate and the best brake (If the Savage brake has issues), etc. to use to achieve that.