I just got a new model 11 in 308 for Christmas and took it to the range for the first time today. I removed a new Leupold VX2 from my Savage model 111 270 and installed on the 308, using Warne bases and rings. I bore sighted the gun by looking through the barrel at a target about 30 yards away and then adjusted the scope for the same point of impact. I was a little surprised that I needed about 60 clicks of "UP" to get the gun bore sighted.

After I fired the first shot I knew something was not right, I missed an 8"x11" sheet of paper at 50 yards. I have used this bore sight-in technique at least a dozen times and is does not fail to get with-in few inches at 50 yards.

After several failed attempts to get on paper, even having another experienced individual at the range try I was still striking out. In desperation I move to 15 yards and fired a shot offhand. To my surprise the bullet landed 6" low and 4" right of my aim.

Before we blame the scope, this same scope shoots 1.375" groups at 200 yards on my 270.

I am looking for ideas here, I did not want to believe it was the gun, I also have a model 11 223 along with the model 111 270 and they both shoot great. But this 308 is really something else, I do not have enough scope adjustment to get the gun on paper at 50 yards. The big issue is the point of impact at 50 yards is more than 8" away from the bore sight. It seems to me like I have some sort of barrel issue, could it be bent?

I will be calling Savage first thing Monday morning!!!
HELP!!!