Thread: Stevens 200 LR build

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

Stevens 200 6.5CM build

The Beginning:

My cousin and I shot a long range match out at Peacemaker range out in WV 2 weeks ago. Needless to say, it got me hooked on long range shooting. I have a Rem 700 SPS in 308 that I used for the match and did OK. Came in 42 out of 53 people. Not bad considering that I had never shot over 450 yards and this match was shooting from 465 yards on the short side, to 971 yards on the longest. Crazy winds 10-20 mph, but it was a blast. I was floored on my cold bore first shot, I was within inches of the target at 8** yards. It took me a bit to get dialed in, but I made some long hits after I worked out the wind. That day i came home and started researching a gun build specific for these comps.

After some searching i decided on the 6.5 Creedmoor as a caliber. Doing quite a bit of reading i came across a savage build and decided that this was the route for me since i like tinkering and building myself rather than paying someone to build for me. Also budget is a concern and it looks like i can build a shooter for less $ with a savage. Cost wise I could not build my 700 in 6.5 for what it is going to cost to build a savage. Hopefully I can make this savage a sub 1/2 min gun.

After watching gunbroker for a bit I won a Stevens 200 S/A in 22-250 for $275. Seemed like a good base for the project and the price was right. Picked it up last week and brought it home. (everything except the bolt guts and receiver are up for grabs if anyone needs parts)

First work was getting the tools to break it all down.

I got it all torn apart and started searching for parts for my build. This is what I ended up with. Not going to use much of the rifle but its hard to beat the price.

Made a build sheet and stared to search the forums for deals. I wanted good glass on this one as my 700 has a millet 6-24 and while it is a good scope, it did not have the clarity at 1000 yards or the mil turrets and zero stop i was looking for. Came across a deal on a used Vortex Razor HD Mil/Mil with Vortex Precision Rings and a Vortex Switch View throw lever and I could not pass it up, so I pulled the trigger on it.

That brings us to today. I have a pile of parts on order. Only things not ordered yet are my barrel and bottom metal. Should get the ball rolling on the barrel Monday.

Plans so far are:

6.5 CM Bartlein prefit barrel 26" threaded 5/8-24 from Southern Precision Rifles (bugholes.com)
    B&C Tactical Medalist stock (will probably skim bed this)
    CDI Bottom Metal - Going to have to send the action and stock to them but they are fitting the bottom metal for free
    Rifle Basix Sav-2 Trigger
    PTG Spiral Fluted Bolt body
    PTG Precision machined bolt head
    SSS Recoil Lug
    110BA Tactical Knob
    APA Gen II Little ******* Brake

Thinking about the time and true job but kinda want to see how the gun works when I get it done. I will update this as the parts start to show up and i get this thing together. Hopefully this gun shoots lights out when its done. Open to suggestions or comments as this is my first barrel nut gun.
    Last edited by vashooter; 01-02-2016 at 08:23 PM.