I recently installed a new Criterion 223 REM barrel on my 12 FV action. I am following Criterion's recommendation to break-in the barrel using their recommended cleaning procedure. I'm firing a single round, then pushing a patch soaked with Hoppe's #9 back and forth through the bore followed a couple of dry patches. Next I clean out the copper with Sweets 7.62. It takes about 4 to 5 patches soaked with Sweet's pushed back and forth followed by a couple of dry patches after each wet patch to remove all of the copper. I let the Sweet's soak in for 5 or 10 minutes, no more, prior to the dry patches.

So far I've done this for 20 rounds (very time consuming) and have noticed a small reduction in the copper fouling but there is still copper fouling after each firing.

Criterion's break in process states the following:
"When fouling begins to diminish after each shot, group sizes can be subsequently increased to five rounds. When fouling is reduced after each five round group, the group size can be increased to ten rounds. If the barrel has no copper fouling after a ten round group, your rifle is ready for your next match."

My questions are:

- Is it realistic to expect that there will be no copper fouling after a 10 round group considering that after cleaning as stated above after each round for 20 rounds there continues to be copper fouling?

- How many single rounds should I expect to fire/clean before I get no copper fouling after one round?

Thanks for your help.