I am a novice reloader, but have been studying for a long time, so when I start to reload, I'd be capable- safe- and effective.
I have a new rifle that I just shot for the first time last week- I've been working on getting it together for 2 years... it's a 6.5 Creedmoor, based on a Savage Single Shot Target Action, tuned and trued by Fred- at Sharpshooter Supply, with a Bartlein barrel on it which he installed/headspaced before sending it off to Masterclass Stocks to be fit to a stock.
I shot it for the first time last week, 20 rounds of Hornady 140 Gr A-MAX ammo, to get it sighted in, start getting used to the gun. Have about 200 rounds of Hornady brass, and 4 different high quality bullets to start reloading with.
However, today I inspected the brass I fired last week- again, Hornady factory rounds- and discovered that the primers were seriously flattened. To confirm- again, I'm a novice- I watched a few videos on YouTube that dealt with identifying high pressure condition indications on the primers.
My primers had no rounding whatsoever... they were completely flattened. Definite unsafe pressures according to everything I referenced to.
There were no indications like the bolt sticking- or tough extraction- and the brass itself in around the rim looked perfectly fine. Just the flattened primers.
Is this normal- to find factory ammo too hot???
Thanks for any advice.
Wes