Waited quite a while to get an XTR II with the new SCR reticle, then waited almost as long for an opportunity to go dial it in. Didn't go quite as well as I had hoped. On a positive note, this was also my first time shooting my first savage, and the gun performed beautifully. Predator hunter max 1 in 22-250. I'm afraid I'm not very good at holding steady, and it was still able to consistently shoot MOA. I'm sure the gun could do better with a better shooter!
Unfortunately, I had a hard time seeing the target clearly at 100 yards. Text lines on the target showed up as blurred lines, no matter how much I fiddled with it. Reticle was clear as a bell, but I tried changing the focus on that too, just in case. No luck. Day was kind of hazy from all the wildfires out west, but when I pulled out a second gun with my vortex viper PST, the difference was glaringly obvious. This was comparing a vortex 6-24x with a Burris 5-25x, so I figured they should be similar. Not even close. Not only was the target MUCH clearer with the vortex (i could read the words on the target), on max magnification, the target actually looked bigger than with the Burris.
Is there something I should be doing differently here, or am I going to have to send the scope back to Burris? I have time and could do it while I swap the barrel for a custom 6.5 Creedmoor...
If it makes a difference, I've been using scopes for years and have quite a bit of experience adjusting them (Including multiple FFP scopes), I just want to make sure I'm not missing something stupid before I send this one back for repair.
Thoughts?
Edit: I also used my new Primary Arms FFP scope for the first time, and it was crystal clear out to 250 yards. Amazing glass for the money!