Having the Boyd stock and rifle combo for a period of time now, and having the rifle in and out of the stock a couple dozen times, a shininess on the contacting surfaces tells where and how well the receiver is supported. It's pretty darned good as is, I am happy to find. The only thing I would consider doing to it is adding a couple inches of bedded area to the barrel after the front of the receiver to support the first two inches of the barrel. Rifle, as is, is showing so much promise, that contemplated project is on a remote back burner.

One thing I did have to do. The wood is so sparse in the front lug area, the bolt can only bear down on the bottom plate which spans the width of the magazine well and bears on slender ledges at the sides of the plate. The bottom plate (purchased as a separate trigger guard and bottom plate package) is too thin and, with no wood under it to support the plate, the plate bends from torqueing the bolt tight. I made a duplicate plate from 1/8" X 1" aluminum and the bottom plate is now both the aluminum and the steel plate. This gives a sturdy, unchanging bearing surface for the bolt-down of the front lug, the torque of which I have been experimenting with. So far, no noted difference between 10 inch-pounds and 12 inch-pounds. I had started out at 15 inch-pounds, but so far, it seems to do fine at the lower settings.