Been doing some research lately for rifles and calibers for me and the family.

After researching all the manufacturers that I was interested in I've selected Savage as they will build the set ups that I want.

I have pretty much settled on the .22-250 but have also started researching the .243 Winchester over the last few days and was curious about a couple of points regarding the caliber as I have never shot one before. Just want to explore all the options before placing and order.

I read posts from different forums about what bullet weights shoot well out of 1:9.25 and 1:10 twist barrels, unfortunately rifle manufacturer's were not named. Answers range from 58gr A-Max to 105gr bullets working in some. but not all of the barrels, and that the same bullet and load combination print .5 to .75 MOA in one shooters barrel while another shooter could only get 1.25 to 2.5 MOA out of the same twist. I guess different manufactures and quality would account for that. So for those that own a Savage with the 1:9.25 twist barrel, any problems shooting 60gr varmint bullets up to 90gr or even up to 100gr bullets for deer and hog, and other medium game? One rifle cannot "do it all" but would like to use one caliber to shoot varmints and medium game with sub-MOA groups.

From reading other posts the recoil is about 1/3 to 1/5 that of the .308, is this correct?

For those with 8-10yo kids, especially daughters, have you notice any recoil issues / sensitivity?

Guess the best bet is to find someone that owns one and meet up at the range with a couple of boxes of ammo and the kids in tow to try it out.

Thanks,

Steve