Last winter I built a fun range gun starting with a Howa 1500 SS barreled action in .223 and fitted it to a Richard's walnut inletted log............ um. I mean stock. I use it for non competitive bench shooting at 100 and 200 yards only. It shoots OK, but I'm currently stuck between half and quarter MOA for 5 shot groups with an occasional group below .250 MOA and an occasional group above .500 MOA. But the vast majority are between 1/2 and 1/4 MOA.

I have no real need for more accuracy but I want it anyway and I'm getting the urge to build another gun before too long. When I come home from a morning at the range, I want to have one or more sub 1/4 MOA targets in my target folder.

I'm sticking with .223 for several reasons even though I know it's not the best choice for pure accuracy. I'm also trying to stay below $2000 (without optics) for the major components. I have my eye on the Savage target action, with some sort of medium-priced screw-on target barrel and a ready-for-me-to-bed stock to match. Is this a viable path to finding increased accuracy?

Since I don't compete, is it possible for me to be happy starting with a Savage Model 12 LRPV Left Port and get nearly as good results for quite a bit less money? I can get a Model 12 new for about 40% of my budget limit, use it for a while, and then think about changing the barrel and stock at a later date.

Money is not the driving force in this equation; however, I do enjoy good bang-for-the buck which is why I'm happy with my Howa. On the other hand, I like good stuff too and something a bit more exotic than my Howa would be nice. That's why I have my eye on the Savage Target Action and a decent target barrel.

But I really can't justify spending $6000 for a competition rifle just so the kid shooting his AR-15 at a paper plate target posted at 50 yards can look over and say, "Gee gramps, your target are really small." or "Hey old timer, where's your magazine?"

Comments and suggestions.