I'm scheduled to pickup my new model 12 Saturday. I've spent 3 days reading opinions about break in or not to break in, but I could use some more.

Some shooters, primarily bench-rest, suggest that you do NOT allow the copper to build up in the barrel, EVER. They further suggest that Sweets 762 should be used throughout the 60 shot rigorous break in procedure. One shot, Hoppes, dry, Sweets 762 followed by WD 40?? to remove the Sweets then dry. Repeat this 10 times, then move on and fire 3 shots, cleaning as described for 10 times and then finally 5 shots, cleaning for 10 more. It seems like a lot of work. It it necessary????

Long distance shooters, which is my game, seem to indicate that one should allow the copper to build up to obtain copper equilibrium which will improve the consistency of the barrel. Most recommend firing 1 shot, clean and brush with Hoppes 9, dry, lightly oil (two drops) then repeat 5 -10 times. Move on to firing 5 shots, clean for 5 times.

I have heard everything from WD 40 to Windex window suggested. I am confused by all of it. Savage seems to favor a shortened version as for bench rest shooters. Some guides even suggest that 1200 grit lapping compound must be used in commercially made barrels, like Savage, to smooth everything out during the first 10 shot regime.

Any serious suggestions?