Thread: Freedom Munitions ammo broke my rifle? Wont eject casings now.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mr. Spooky

Freedom Munitions ammo broke my rifle? Wont eject casings now.

I picked up a box of 175gr HPBT and 178gr Amax reman ammo from Freedom Munitions to try through my savage 10 HS precision. I started off using some ZQi 7.62 to get zeroed, went through 20 rds, fed, extracted and ejected fine. Horrible grouping. Then switched to the 175gr HPBT from freedom. After firing I had a very stiff bolt lift and really had to slam the bolt up and back to get the round out. Went though about 10 of those then switched to Fed GMM (.5 to .75 moa groups) and it was fine. Next was the Freedom 178gr Amax. Same thing. Very stiff bolt lift and very hard to extract. A couple of time the bolt would not move back at all. But with some force it would finally pull back. I tried another round of the 178gr and this time there was no way the bolt was pulling back. I tried once more with a kind of slam the rifle and pull back on the bolt method and the bolt came back but the casing was still in the chamber, (was I not supposed to do that?). I used a cleaning rod to tap the casing out. Problem is now it will not eject shell casings. Just pulls them straight out and it lays on the mag.

Any ideas on what happened and why it wont eject now? Over pressure? They did have a stout recoil compared to the Fed GMM 168s. I was looking at the extractor and I was pushing on it and it moved up and exposed a ball and spirng? Is it supposed to do that with just finger pressure? The ejector seems really weak also. If you need any pics of anything in particular let me know and I will get them ASAP.

If it helps here are some pics of the bolt:

and ammo:

Thanks for any help, Mike
    Last edited by Mr. Spooky; 06-07-2015 at 05:13 PM.