Thread: Finally admitting I need help

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    malachi_s

Finally admitting I need help

Hello shooters, I bought a Savage 10 FP SR about four years ago and when I first shot it with the plastic stock and factory ammo, I was not too distressed that it shot horribly. I say horribly meaning 1.5 to 2 MOA at 100 yds was the common. I knew right away I would need a better stock and better ammunition, so that is exactly what I did. I rested the rifle in a B&C Varmint/Tactical and started the process of trying to find the right combination of case, powder, bullet and primer.

After about a year into it I had thought I had found my load, Lapua case, Varget, CCI BR and Hornady 168 gr HPBT Match. I could hold my own out to 400 yards with other better more expensive rifles, not evenly I'll admit but I wasn't ever a a quarter moa away from the pack. Well, 2 and half years ago, that same recipe, rifle and shooter can not maintain a 1 moa group at 100 yds no matter how many times I try, good weather, damp weather, hot, cold, nothing matters.

Now I would be foolish not to take into consideration my own abilities but I would also not be truthful if I accepted I was the culprit. All I can safely say is that something has gone awry. I have changed recipes with different ingredients trying to find some happiness to no avail. The only think I have not endeavored to consider is the harmonics. I am the one who mounted the rifle in the new stock and though I am confident I had the torque right, as far as what was suggested, and using a Wheeler torque driver wrench anyway. I am to a point where I am thinking of taking it off the stock and remounting it. But before I do this, and I think that would not be a lot of trouble if I did, I would like other opinions as to what may be causing my issues.

I know this the door open for the wise guys to tell me it is all me and all the what knots of those superior shooters than myself but I don't care. If there is advise someone is willing to lend, I am listening. I really do need someone else's thought on this, so thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.
    Last edited by J.Baker; 06-03-2015 at 05:17 AM. Reason: Paragraphs are your friend