Recently picked up a used left hand Axis in 30.06 . For one reason or another, it was about 6 weeks later that I finally got to the range to fire it. Before I went, I had it bore sighted just because. Anyway, it was not even on the paper. Put up a large 3'X3' piece of cardboard and POI was 18" below the target and about 2" to the right. After some mega adjustments, it was finally in the 8 ring. The range officer then called a cease fire so cleared firearm and stepped behind the line. When firing resumed, my next shot resembled a black powder gun. There was a big cloud of ????? coming from my barrel. Don't know what happened, but I had a bulge about 2 1/2" from the end of the barrel. That was the end of my shooting that day.

Ended up taking it to (you know the story) friend of a friend of a friend who does gunsmithing. After playing out all the scenarios, he ended up shortening the barrel 3" and re-crowned it. Assured me the change in accuracy would be minimal but neglected to mention how much more kick it would have. Got back to the range, continued sighting it in. Four shots later had it sighted in and was shooting 1.5" groups at 100 yards. Satisfied with that but this thing now kicks like a mule on steroids. Recoil was manageable before but it's scary now and muzzle rise is ridiculous.

Been looking at muzzle brakes in hopes of taming this 30.06 . Am considering a Witt clamp on muzzle brake and wondered if anyone has any experience with them. Found a couple of videos on you tube and they appear to do as claimed. Recommendations anyone?