Howdy, I'm new here, name of George (I sorta introduced myself over to the new-guy page.) Anyways, I recently bought a Mod 99 .300 Sav. made in 1937 (serial #362xxx) with the original - I assume - Marble rear buckhorn sight and blade in a ramp front site. Its never known a sling..all in all a pretty cool rifle.
Okay, first of all I'm a reloader and the son of a reloader - bullet caster - wildcatter (30-40 Krag AI anyone? I inherited one.)
This is my first time reloading for .300 Sav. Where I hunt, in far north Idaho for whitetail, elk, bear and (if I ever get drawn for a tag) moose 150 yards is a long shot. When I bought the rifle the guy threw in two boxes of 150gr Rem. SilverTip factory ammo. I used that to sight in and shoot a little to get to know the gun. Still got half a box left.

I'm thinking that for my purposes 180gr Hornady round-nose Interlock bullets might be a good choice for this rifle. I'm still waiting on the dies from Midway, so I have some time to ponder what I'm gonna load up. I found a couple of good loads with IMR 3031 and H380. Somewhere around 2350 to almost 2400 fps.
I've always heard that 150gr bullets and the .300 Sav. go together like biscuits and gravy and honestly, with the vast improvement in bullet technology since I first started reloading almost 50 years ago, I'm wondering if a modern 150gr premium hunting bullet would do the job as well as your run of the mill (albeit cool) 180 gr.
Pretty geeky, huh? Oh well...
Anybody have thoughts as to 150 gr vs 180gr bullets in the .300 Sav. ? Anyone? Buehler? Anyone??