Thread: Greetings from the Sunshine State

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BigDave

Greetings from the Sunshine State

Age 58 from Fort Lauderdale.

I can build an AR 15 in my sleep from the smallest spring and roll pin. I mean great performing AR's. I know every tiny part by heart. I can painstakingly fit Ghost disconnectors and hand polish Glock internals, change out every internal piece!

I am a total newbie in Long Range Precision Rifle There is so MUCH to learn. Forget about the complicated ballistics...just the massive amount of support equipment you need for precision rifle is a bit overwhelming. I have never ever owned a bolt gun or any kind of rifle caliber larger than .223. I have never shot over 100 yards. That is all going to change.

I have looked into this for almost 2 years. I have studied, read, watch a lot of YouTube (Tibasousrus Rex in particular). So I am a GREAT long range shooter in my own mind. LOL. I have never fired a shot over 100 yards. I believe I have the patience and willingness to learn how to totally shift gears from my CQB rapid fire training with AR15's and 9mm.

LRPR seems like a total mediation and great for those of us who have OCD tendencies. I really want to do this. I have done the "run and gun" thing for a while now. I want to expand my skill set to a totally different pace and discipline.

I have it mostly under control as far as getting started. It has taken me many months just to pick and find a gun! I am talking about the large amount of work to be done before even the first shot is fired.

It's not a good thing when you are particular and fussy like me AND on a tight budget. I want to immediately improve and modify what I buy. I just can't affords to do that, so I thought a great gun I could live with and modify later is a Savage. Remington just didnt appeal to me. Especially when everyone told me to get a Remington. Maverick that I am, I ignored them and studied Savage..and liked what I saw.

At first I wanted a 10 FCP-K. Then I was 100% set on a Savage 10 FCP-SR (in .308). I pursued used versions because they are discontinued. Oh, I am well aware of the new 600 dollar plastic double stack magazine version. I want NO part of that, thank you.

I finally found a 2013 never fired .308 Savage 10 FCP-SR in TN for $800. I just picked it up from my FFL. It is exactly as it was advertised. 100% Cherry. See my initial impressions and unboxing in the 110 section.

This is my first Long Range Precision Rifle which I gravitated to since I am pretty OCD guy. The whole concept of LRPR seems both OCD and Zen at the same time. It seems like a mediation for guys who can do math. I am fascinated with Ballistics. I have been studying them for over a year and finally am getting a grasp.

Tibasours Rex on YouTube goes into great detail how to do calculations the old fashion way with a Hewlett Packard Scientific Calculator, wet bulb thermometer and SO many tables, work sheets etc. I understand it, but, dayum, all those exel spread sheets. Sorry, it started to look more like pain than fun.

I found something that really helped my understanding of ballistics. It looks like something I want to actually use. I bought the full version for 10 measly dollars and have played (not yet shot) with it quite a bit. See my initial impressions of the SHOOTER app for Android smart phones in the Range Report section. There is no section/sub forum labeled "Ballistics".

My Unboxing, disassembly, and initial impressions of my NIB 2013 10 FCP-SR

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...-NIB-10-FCP-SR

SHOOTER APP for Android:

http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?42873-quot-SHOOTER-quot-Android-Ballistics-APP&p=310668#post310668

Last edited by BigDave; 03-16-2015 at 02:49 AM.