Thread: My 7mm Rem Mag build

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

My 7mm Rem Mag build

Okay so this is basically the start of something completely new and different for me. Around Christmas time I decided I needed to scratch my Magnum itch. Its been 3 years since I owned one, and I never should've sold it. It was a Weatherby Vanguard Stainless SUB MOA in 300 WSM. Had the super nice B&C black and gray spider web stock on it. Anyway, this is my first attempt at doing a build completely from scratch. So far I've acquired a 24" Varmint contour small shank barrel from an awesome forum member on here. I called Jim at Northland Shooters Supply originally just to purchase an action and the tools required to do a barrel swap. Long story short he talked me into purchasing a complete package rifle he had in stock that was chambered in 7mm Rem Mag already. So I got the rifle, the action wrench, barrel nut wrench, recoil lug and barrel nut all from NSS. Jim's a great guy, very happy with his service and he's a pleasure to deal with. So the accompanying pictures are basically all the BEFORE shots. The rifle is a Model 111 FXP4.

My plans are as follows:
    1) Sell barrel, stock and scope
    2) Install and headspace 24" Varmint barrel
    3) Purchase and install Bell and Carlson Medalist Sporter in Black and Gray Spider web
    3) Mount, level and install Vortex Scope (undecided as of yet)
    4) Shoot and proof the barrel, do load work up. Once barrel proves to be accurate
    5) Send barrel and action to Hawk Hill custom and have muzzle brake installed and barrel Cerakoted matte stainless finish, action coated matte blue finish

That's where I'm at so far. Let me know what you guys think. I'll definitely have a ton of questions as I get further along. Obviously still in the beginning stages a the moment. I've been acquiring brass, bullets and powder. Haven't purchased dies yet though. I still need to contact PT&G to get the go/no go gauges, I've just been running out of cash lately lol God this is an addictive and expensive hobby.
    Last edited by Model12BVSS; 02-13-2015 at 05:47 PM.