Hello all,

I have a Savage .308 Model 16 (Which is same as Model 11, just different finish, etc.)

I disassembled for no reason other than to understand. I wrote down that my recoil spring was compressed at 1.35". When I took it apart, I did not change or disassemble the firing pin stop nut or washer, so i shouldn't have changed my firing pin protrusion depth. When I reassemble, I'm unable to compress the spring to 1.35" (the threads bottom out), so I can only assume I misread that measurement. I've tried bottoming out the cocking piece and cocking piece washer, which compresses the spring to 1.80". Trying to reassemble the bolt using that tension, I'm unable to turn the bolt to the cocked position so I can only assume that the tension is much too high.

Here are my measurements of the firing pin. Note that this is the stepped firing pin model where the this diameter is about .066" and the larger is closer to .095".

Compressed spring: 1.80"
Firing pin tip to front of firing pin stop nut: 1.365"

I'd appreciate some advice. If possible, I'd really like to find a savage document that outlines these numbers - I can't find it anywhere on the 'net.

Note that I found this thread:

www.savageshooters.com/archive/index.php/t-14325.html

Which gives some short action measurements but they don't seem to make any more sense than what I have.

Thank you!