I'm not new to guns, but this IS my first rifle.

After lots of research I decided on a Savage 12 LRPV in .223 (1:9 twist). Received it from my FFL this past Thursday and was very happy. Its absolutely gorgeous and is everything I hoped it would be. But it hates me.

:'(

Mounted the optics and bore sighted it the same day, but had to wait for Sunday to go to the range to sight it in. Sunday finally arrived and I took my first few shots. After firing three shots successfully I got what felt like a misfire on the fourth. Ejected the round and looked at the primer. It hadn't been touched! Tried another round and it fired. Fired two more rounds and got another "click" with no "boom". ???

That was the last time I was able to get it to fire. I took it back home, cleaned it, and checked everything over. Grabbed some different ammo and headed back to the range. No love this time either! One of the range officers noticed I was having some trouble and came over to help out. He picked it up, chambered a round, shouldered it, and fired it. Then fired it three more times. I picked it up, chambered a round, and...

click

WFT! This gun apparently hates me. OK...I know it doesn't hate me, but it is doing some very strange things. Its almost like the safety and the Accutrigger are in cahoots. Sometimes when cycling the action the entire trigger assembly seems to be locked, and the safety is locked as well. Other times I CAN dry-fire the gun just fine.

I've read about similar problems, and I will try adjusting the trigger pull a bit. The odd thing is that when I DID get the trigger to pull, the firing pin obviously wasn't connecting with the primer. The other problems I've heard about it was just that the trigger was freezing. Mine is doing that, but is also doing other weird stuff too.

Again, this is my first rifle and I'm starting to wonder if I made the right decision choosing a Savage. This is allegedly their top end rifle in the 12 Varmint series, so I have to question their QC. I shouldn't have to "figure this out" on a new gun! This will be a great test to see what their customer service is like.

Any other things I should look for on these target actions? It really is a beautiful gun...I just want it to work!

Thanks...