For a few weeks now I have been waiting for good weather to get out and test fire my recently acquired model 99 series A which our good friend "MAD DOG" identified as a 1977. (By the way Maddog, should you read this I am curious as to how you specified the date. What were the key factors that put you on target for it?)

Just so you are aware folks I use a new Savage P1 Trophy Hunter XP/AC .308 as my regular shooter in the stand locations so to me finding a decent .308 lever for the bush was a serious want vs need scenerio and I removed the scope in favor of iron sights in the bush. I made 10 targets of frozen coloured water (no debris and they blow up quite nicely on impact) and placed them at 100 yards attempting to fire from a free hold position. Needless to say I am not a marksman and just as I say, I attempted to hit my targets. Being familiar with the kick a .308 can produce it was not to difficult to get the feel for this gun at all and I made ice chips in not to long of a time. I was very happy with the feel and ease of use this gun provided, most of all the all steel magazine(clip) was a very nice thing to have. I am not fond of the newer plastic ones that are used on todays rifles. My brother had to replace the magazine on his brand new Savage 30-06 as it broke on our deer/moose hunt in northern Ontario, it was covered by warranty but he still purchased a second one since he felt that he could not depend them. So far mine, and my wife's .270 have not suffered the same fault and they all use the same magazine.

I get the feeling the rear sights are bent slightly to the right(hopefully I can fix that) but to confirm I will set up my range table and proper targets the next time I get out and shoot. Free standing shooting at targets no bigger than small coffee jars 100 yards away isn't easy and I know I was more interested in just see how the gun felt, but you can bet I want to test accuracy the next time for sure.

Tommy