I just purchased my first center fire rifle, a model 12 BVSS in .223 for target shooting. Right out of the box I was pleasantly surprised to see this gun shoots under 1/2 MOA, but only when cold. I've tried several brands of factory ammo, the first being Hornaday V-MAX 55 gr at 3240 fps and got fairly consistent groups if I waited a minute or two between shots. I also bought some cheap ammo, American Eagle in a 50gr Varmint tip and found it shoots spectacularly, with best being 1/4 MOA. Not being satisfied (that's my ADHD rearing it's ugly head) I bought a LNL reload kit from Cabelas and have been scouring the Internet ever since to learn as much a possible while also being helped by my shooting buddy who's been reloading for 30+ years.

My most recent load seems to be pretty good, a 53gr V-max over IMR3030 powder at 3200 fps, set .025 off lands, but the American Eagle still shoots a bit better, and it's got a HUGE .90 jump!? I have also tried tapping out the American Eagle bullet to get a .025 jump and it seems to improve it slightly, but I get flyers.

I have also tried IMR4320 in a compressed load with a 50gr V-max, and IMR 8208 XBR and 53 gr V-max. Still searching for that "Goldie Locks" load.

Which brings me to this forum and all the experience you guys have with Savage rifles, so please, let the comments begin

My first question is this: Has anyone tried the "accurizing package" by SAVAGEGUNSMITHING? They promise improved accuracy with additional machining and bedding the stock. Is it worth the 3 month wait and cost? Or is my Model 12 already shooting about as good as can be expected for an off the shelf purchase?

I have many more questions, such as how to clean, when to clean, reloading for accuracy, shooting form, blah, blah. but I'll try to not be a pest.

Thanks for any help!