Thread: Fired up to do first personal build! Help with purchase sequence, please.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

Fired up to do first personal build! Help with purchase sequence, please.

This has probably been asked a hundred times, but I couldn't find a "by the numbers for dummies" thread explaining what basic components are necessary. For the pure satisfaction of having done it myself, I want to build a 6.5 Creedmoor and would really appreciate some help. I won't be competing for money, or taking it into combat. I just want a self-built 6.5 CM with the potential for exceptional accuracy. Will any Savage 10 short action work? Should I buy a used model 10 and then order a barrel, let's say, from E. R. Shaw (I like their helical fluting)? What's the easiest components for a newbie to work with? I supposed I'm looking for a simple, military style, by-the-numbers tutorial from some of you "builders" who have been down this road. Thanks to those who have the time? Hoo-ah!

Would I be better off finding a used .308 size bolt (243, 7-08, 308) and doing a .260? That would probably be easier to find, huh?
    Last edited by Old Medic; 12-31-2014 at 12:33 PM.
    "Do you trust the government?" If the answer is 'Yes,' you can accurately surmise they don't understand the original intent of the 2nd Amendment.