Thread: Questions/Opinions on DBM and Triggers

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    CrankyYankee

Questions/Opinions on DBM and Triggers

Hello all.

This will be my first Savage rifle build. I'm trying to keep it simple with "put together parts." I'd like to keep the professional gun smithing/machine work to a minimum for now. Purpose will be for .223 Rem. Bench/Prone target shooting for my 8 year old son as he transitions from the Mk II .22lr. Eventually as he grows, I'd like to be able to convert this to a .260 with minimal fuss. So a short action is in order, but I'd like to hear ya'lls thoughts and opinions on what I'd like to do. I understand the transition from 223 to 260 will require a barrel, Bolt face, and DBM at a minimum.

I'm thinking of going with a Choate Tactical Savage Stock and a Karstens Cheek System so I can adjust LOP and Cheek comb height as he grows (and of course fit me too), but that's not set in stone. Weight is not a concern since it will be range only. I don't want to break the bank on this, but definitely don't want to be limited by sub-standard stuff. I handload, so sub-moa accuracy will be a must, but one-holers is not required. I can skim-bed the action myself if needed. Heck, I could even go with a Boyds and have the hardware put in along with pillars.

I've read and searched for pages and pages, and have come to realize that the Savage has more options and considerations than a Rem 700. I'd like to use a detachable magazine system. How is the stock Savage DBM system? OK? Good for range work only? Garbage???

With a short action, it would be easiest to just get some mags for the 260 when it's time and have the bottom metal stay the same. Is that even possible? AICS mags cost more, but if that's one of those "must" upgrades with new bottom metal, then so be it. I don't NEED 10+ round mags and this will not be going into combat, but want him to get used to mag swaps, loading/unloading....etc.

Next is the trigger. Accutrigger or Rifle Basix 1? I'd like 2.5 to 3 lbs and crisp. Again, I'd like to do it myself.

So... I'm starting my build with the DBM and trigger in mind. This will then dictate which model I purchase, and then eventually the barrel which will be a small shank pre-fit heavy(ish) barrel which will be threaded for my suppressor. Minimum outside diameter for the barrel must be .610".

Which models would be the most economical to achieve this myself? Get a Stevens action and go from there? Model 11 and toss the stock and barrel????...etc. I'd like to keep the build under $800 if possible (not including rings, bases, scope). By the way... right hand.

I've read where most of these questions have been asked before on other threads, but would like to hear more just in case someones opinion has changed, newer parts have been made, or someone reads this that didn't catch the other threads.

Thanks in advance.

Bill
    Last edited by CrankyYankee; 12-08-2014 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Grammar