Quote Originally Posted by Stockrex View Post
it has a HS Precision stock, out of the box it should ok,
look at chamber specs for each make for your caliber, (assuming twist rate is same), pick the one which is the best match to your choice of bullet/brass
don't rule out the factory barrel
and
WELCOME to the forum from west michigan
OK a bit more information. I know it's an HS. I have not pulled the action to look underneath but I was told that that particular model had an aluminum mini chassis. Is that true? I was assuming there were some here that knew that for sure and how much skim bedding improved their performance. If there is no aluminum chassis then I will have it bedded for sure.

The barrel is going to be replaced. It is a 243 and the twist rate is 1 / 9.25. Much too slow for my purposes as I am going to set it up for 115 Bergers and DTAC's. I am going with a 28 inch with a twist of 1 / 7 or maybe 1 / 7.5. I was interested, again, in the experiences of the folks here and if any had a preference between the Shilen and Criterion and their reasons, or if it was a toss up.

I'm on the other side of the state from you but spend a good portion of my summers up on Lake Leelanau. Thanks for the welcome!