Ok fellas, I took my wife hunting a few weeks ago, and she really likes it. While we didn't see any deer, we still had fun watching squirrels mess around, and being in her first tree stand. The problem is, the only working deer rifle I have right now is my 11VT. Now, I'm built like Sasquatch, so carrying a heavy rifle around doesn't bother me, but it's too heavy for her to want to lug around all day.

Now, my wife is pretty tall for a woman (5'9"ish) so I think a youth rifle may have too short of a LOP, and she REALLY likes my VT, and she seems to really like/trust the .308 round (which to me, trusting your rifle to do the job is almost as important as the rifle's ability to actually do it. If that makes any sense.) So I would really like to stick with the .308, which kinda got me looking at the Hog Hunter rifle. Short barrel, lighter than my VT, and comes in .308. The thought process here is, I could either put a brake on it, as it has a threaded barrel, and put a decent recoil pad on it, or even load up some cast hollow point 30 cal bullets over some 2400 powder moving 1900-2000fps. Shots will be limited to around 100 yards.

If anyone has any input on this, I'm all ears. I want to keep her shooting a Savage, because she's used to the controls on mine, and is very comfortable with the controls.

Thanks guys