So up front I know my rifle is inherently not the most accurate out there. Factory plastic stock, not floated or bedded in any way (not really possible for this one), factory trigger and decent glass with a sporter barrel (its a model 111 in 308).

That being said, it seems like every powder charge produces the same results (w/in reason). I wanted to find a bullet my rifle likes more so I am trying out Sierra Game King in 150gr. I am using it in used brass, CCI primers, and various charges of Varget. Cases are all w/in .002" of each other in length and COL is the same variance according to my cheapo Cabelas digital calipers. Bullets were seated .020" OTL.

I tried from 38.5 to 40.5 grains of Varget in 0.5 grain increments and in four shot groups they had no noticeable trend.

All at 100 yards on a somewhat breezy day:

38.5gr - 1.32"
39.0gr - 1.24"
39.5gr - 0.93"
40.0gr - 1.60"
40.5gr - 1.43"

Seems that it dips down at 39.5 but I could have just gotten lucky. It was on an old beat up sled at the range to take out as much human factor as possible but it had no straps.

So overall less than ideal situation but I tried to control as many variables as possible. Even still it seems that there isn't much conclusive data. I had hoped to take the "best" powder charge and then work on the jump to the lands and find the best there, but I really don't think I have enough data to go on.

Thoughts?