Ok here's the deal. Locally we have some 100 yard competitions. A couple of guys shoot model 12 LRVP's in .223 and clean house on everyone. Hell this week one of them let a guy shoot his gun that had never shot a center-fire rifle in his life and he won the round.

So I'm trying to decide what I need to do to compete. (my .243 hunting rifle aint cutting it) Now I think the .223 is probably the ideal round for what we are doing. The low recoil and heavy weight of the LRVP allows them to shoot free recoil, which should almost eliminate shooter error.

I don't have a 1000 dollars laying around to drop on a LRVP right now. But, I do have a small shank savage action I'm not using. The gun has to use factory parts to be legal. If the LRVP's were small shank I just get a barrel from one and drop on it.

So my ? is, if you were me. Would you take the action I have and get a .223 varmint barrel and a VLP stock from NSS, or save up for a while and get try to get a LRVP? I like the idea of piecing together a gun (thats the fun part of savages). But, ultimately I just want the gun to shoot well.

I would think most of the accuracy comes from the barrel and the stock. And that either barrel would be a savage factory barrel and probably just as good of quality. Just the LRVP barrel has a larger dia. and should weight more. Would the laminated stock properly bedded work as well as the LRVP stock?