Currently living in IA.

Have lived and hunted elk in WY- hunted 5 years, got a mulie every year, an antelope the only year I put in and 1 elk for 3 years trying.

Would like to hunt elk again, trying to get a handle on various options and their ROI.

Still have friends/family in WY. Could get an out of state tag and if accompanied by local resident hunt in any area. Pros- fairly cost effective, get to go hunt with some old friends. Cons- not super productive. Could spend a fair amount of time and money for the same 1/3 success we had before and in full disclosure the 1 elk I did find was more luck than skill.

Could hire a guide in WY/MT/CO/AZ/NM/etc etc etc. Pros- get to see some great country, usually have meat processing etc included, less of a hassle to set up areas, camps, horses and the such, higher (hopefully) likelihood of bagging a bull. Cons- no guarantees on where/when the bulls will be around, have never used a guide so no experience with how it all goes, higher cost.

Other options?

This year is obviously out so I'm looking at late 2015.

What is the ballpark cost associated with hunts like these?

For those who have chosen one option or the other what did you like, what would you have preferred be different?

What else to consider?