Well picked up an old savage 110 in 243 about 6 months ago. Got it at the local gun shop for $200 and thought I got a screaming deal especially considering the outstanding physical condition. Finally got around to picking up a scope for it (4-12x44 weaver 40/44 series) and took it to the range yesterday with a couple boxes of factory loaded winchester 100 grain soft points. Im just waiting on a couple small tools to be able to load for it. I started shooting 3 shot groups and ended up shooting some 5 shot groups after i got it on paper all at 100 yards. It is literally shooting 4 inch 3 shot groups and 5 inch 5 shot groups. Ive never had a gun shoot anywhere near that poorly. Ive got several savages and they are great shooting guns as a matter of fact my model 12 routinely shoots 1/4 to 1/2 inch at 100 yards. It seems like the first shot always goes several inches high and about an inch left, the next 2 shots will be almost bullseye and shot 4 and 5 will go way low right. Now I didnt expect it to shoot like my pillar bedded heavy barrel model 12 but my sporter barreled model 110 270 will shoot factory ammo at an inch to inch and a half. This 243 is a sporter barrel gun. And it is an older gun with the straight screwdriver looking bolt that attaches the bolt handle. Its also a long action but part of the action is not milled out making basically a plug that allows it to be chambered for short action rounds. Im sure some of you guys know that Im talking about. It is in a wood stock with no pillars. It also has a raised bump at the end of the barrel channel that applies pressure to the barrel like a ruger m77 is set up. So where would you guys start with this? Ive never pillar bedded, glass bedded, opened up barrel channels or anything of the sort but I am pretty handy and Im sure I could do it. Do you think bedding it and floating the barrel would be worth trying? Or does accuracy that poor mean the barrel is shot out? I guess just trying to figure out where to even start with it. Or am I just better off to ditch the gun? Thanks