Hello All,
I just finished my first savage "build" or rebarrel may be a better term. I want to thank pdog06, hany, mattpeetz, and 319 for all of the parts and advice I have got from them. They are also great folks to deal with. I have read alot on here and have built a few ar's but I just wanted to quadruple check that I won't blow my face off when shooting this for the first time. I got a stocked action with an sss trigger, a nss recoil lug and LW 6br barrel. I assembled everything in my shop and did everything that seems like common sense, and the same as what I've read dozens of times on here, but..... is it really this easy? Clamping the barrel in the barrel vise, screw on the nut, slide on the wrench, recoil lug, go-gage in barrel, thread on receiver.... receiver stops, I tightened with a torque wrench to 30lbs (about 37lbs with the link for extended wrenches that I found on here) bolt works fine. I install no-go gage and bolt won't even try to close. I put one piece of scotch tape on back of go-gage and it only goes about 1/3 of the way, and the bolt closes fine on a fresh sized piece of brass. I hear and read all the time that it's this easy but when you do it I actually want to check before I put about 50k psi 4 inches from my nose. I hope I don't have a death wish in my hands and I can't wait to shoot this sucker!!
p59