I started working up a load for my .270 Win using 130gr Barnes TTSX today and thought I'd post my findings here, having not found too much info on here for Barnes bullets in Savage/Stevens rifles.

Rifle: Stevens 200, .270 Win
Case: Winchester
Primer: CCI
Powder: 58.5gr RL-19
Bullet: 130gr Barnes TTSX
Seating Depth: 0.010, 0.020, 0.030, 0.040, 0.050 from lands

Barnes lists starting/never exceed charge weights of 56.0 and 59.5gr, respectively. I started on the high side, staying 1gr back from max. Most of my most accurate loads in the past have been near max, maybe 0.5 to 1.0 gr below max. Seating depth, from what I gathered online is critical for accuracy in the Barnes solid copper lines.

I made 5 sets of loads using the same powder charge but varying the seating depth as listed above. In testing the loads, I fired my groups in pseudo-random order. Otherwise, who knows if groups degrade due to a dirty barrel, shooter fatigue, changing temps, etc. The were shot in the order: 0.030, 0.040, 0.020, 0.050, 0.010.

I found that the longer loads (closer to the lands) worked best, with my best group from the load seated 0.010 from the lands. It measured 0.38". Not bad, probably the best I've managed from this old Stevens with a sport weight barrel.

One question/comment though: I managed to pop a primer out on the last round of my group firing the loads seated 0.050 from the lands. I suppose seating the bullet further into the case would compress the powder and cause increasing pressures. The question is, how much? This is super critical in e.g. 9mm Luger, I'm just not sure how many of you have encountered it in your reloading of large rifles.

Also, I was considering backing my powder charge down maybe 0.5 gr and sticking with the seating depth 0.010 from the lands. Is this enough or is it even necessary to back down?

I appreciate your input!