I have a savage 110 .30-06. I got it some years back maybe five or six. I recently broke the bolt head retainer pin. I have two on the way from Midway USA. It has a bushnell banner 6x18x50 on it with high mount scope mounts. I cant remember what kind of scope mounts I had but they were around 15 bucks. It has the composite stock. My issue is that no matter what I try it seems to shoot randomly. What I mean is that the majority of shots will be in maybe a 4 or five inch area with some fairly tight groups in there and then there will be radom ones that are all over the place. Some high some way low, left ,right etc. It makes it hard to figure out how to adjust the scope if I shoot once and its way high, then the next shot is way low if you know what I mean. I am trying to rule out what my problems might be. If it is just shooter error than I just need to practice. I am going to get a good shooting rest to try and remove shooter error. THat way I can see if it is the gun and or scope. I am not looking to get under one inch groups. I would like to be able to shoot under two inch groups at 100 yards or there abouts and eliminate those frequent random fliers. I have never really been able to shoot consistantly with this gun. I had other scopes on it before. I believe the original scope was the one that it came with from savage. I then got another scope and the same issue. It was a christmas gift. It was a 70 dollar tasco. I am by no means an expert, I just like to shoot guns. Anyways I have a few questions.

1. What shot groups should I expect this rife to shoot out of box?
2. Has anyone had any experience with the scope that I have. Is it good, bad?
3. Would shooting it with the broken retainer pin cause accuracy issues? I was getting hang fires.
4. Could it be a head space issue?
5. Is it worth bedding the rifle?

Any advice would be appreciated.