Out shooting prairie dogs. Model 12 FLVSS, one of the first short action ones that was made, many years ago. Always have used it as a single shot, with the scope lined up, so stray shot isn't a concern, but a little unnerving to have your finger out of the trigger guard, close the bolt and hear a boom.

This rifle has many thousands of rounds through it, so would imagine something is weak, worn, or dirty. Bolt has never been stripped. Trigger is factory also. When I bought it new, a smith said to give it about 500 rounds and it would smooth out nice. He didn't want to stone it due to the hardened engaging surface only. It did, and settled into a nice clean about 2# pull with no creep. (Never had that patience with a deer rifle, opted to swap triggers on them)

The safety was off at the time, but after it fired, raised the bolt to remove the empty, so didn't check to see if the sear had been released.(thought didn't occur to me until I'd already lifted the handle)

Sent a letter to Savage, looking for a factory authorized service center in ND. They take time off mid July, got a canned letter saying they'd respond after July 14. No reply yet.

Reckon I could replace the rifle, but with 15,000 plus rounds through it; it still shoots just fine, and know it like an old friend, so fixing sound better than learning new.

Ideas where to start?