I was surprised to find it as it was a display among many rifles without a tag to identify make and caliber (tags can't be read unless a clerk brings the gun over the counter--not the best way to display a huge number of rifles but the Indian Head on the pistol grip did help). The .250 story was told to me by my grandfather who had a friend in college who had bought a 99 in the .250. He told me the 3000fps story with the 87 gr bullet and how that rifle had "turned a coyote inside out" in from of my grandfather's eyes on a running shot 75 or so yards away in a ravine bed they had been combing back in the Roaring Twenties. I knew all about the cartridge and had a 6mm 700 ADL but all the time I wanted a .250 and finally in 1985 I bought a 700 Classic .250 in Petaluma, CA of all places!

Ergonomically the 700 Classic Series does not do well for me to shoot accurately. The pistol grip is almost non existent and the trigger is too far forward for me to really get down to brass tacks with it. I gave up on the 700 and got a Ruger 77 International in the same caliber (Ruger had this for awhile in the early 90s). That rifle was better but again not the right feel for me to split hairs with so I sold it and waited for another model .250 Savage and I found my 14 just about two months ago in St. Louis, MO. It feels good! It looks good. It balances good. I love it. I haven't fired it yet but I did mount a Swar Z3 3-9X on it (I know the scope cost more than the rifle) and I am happy as a pig in poop!

I will post pictures soon! I will fire it soon! I picked up 140 rounds from Remington (100gr SP).