I grew up with the same calibers as alot of other guys here I am sure. The 30/30 lever action was my first big game rifle. I broke it and went on to the 30-06. I shot the -06 for most of my years. Its a solid performer as it always has been. I then went to the 308 later because I wanted a hunter/target rifle with plenty of available brass.
Last year I bought the Savage 12LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor. I can honestly say it is the best rifle I have ever owned. This includes Remington 700's, Brownings, and 1 Winchester. I dont know about the longevity, but I do know it will perform. If the longevity is anything like the 22lr Savage my dad gave me in the mid seventies I will be ok.
I think alot of the reason I like it so much is the cartridge. It works well on anything in my area.
It serves as a great varmint rifle for crows and such.
It works well on long range dogs.
It works well on hogs.
It works well on deer.
I dont have any elk but I wouldnt be afraid to use it on them.
The rifle and cartridge have actually made me a long range shooter with confidence. I have no problem with hitting inside 8" out to 700 so far and I am stretching the range each trip to the field. I am consistently shooting under .5 moa at every distance up to 700 so far.
Anyone in the market for a great rifle needs to consider it. Its that good.
Has anyone else been this excited about the 6.5?
I am considering selling my other rifles and buying an AR chambered for it and a lightweight hunter chambered for it also. I like it that much. What do you guys think?