Well, it took a while but I finally got a 308. I plan to shoot steel at 1000 yards. I was eyeing the Model 11VT from Dick's Sporting Goods and the Model 10 Tactical from Wal-Mart. The Wal-Mart model had the oversized bolt handle and the Dick's came with a scope. I decided to go with the Dick's model because I thought the combo was a better value. Here she is the day she came home:

I used this scope for a little bit of barrel break in (nothing fancy, just shot a box of cheap ammo), and load testing.

Next, I knew the combo scope would not cut it for 1000 yard shooting. I went with the SWFA SS 16x42 fixed power, SWFA rings (low), and an EGW 20 MOA mount:

Since this is a "budge" thread, here is a price breakdown of the rifle thus far:
Rifle: $499 + $38.07 tax + $10 Background Check Fee = $547.07
Scope: $254.96 + $14.46 shipping = $269.42
Rings: (Shipped with scope) = $34.95
Base: $39.99 + $7.75 shipping = $47.74

Total: $899.18

I know the weak point with this rifle thus far is the flimsy stock. It's a shame because I like the shape of the stock. I have back-ordered a Boyd's Tacticool stock with limbsaver recoil pad which I plan on bedding.

Future plans include a tactical bolt handle (not really necessary, just something I've always wanted), metal trigger guard, and I'm considering having the barrel threaded for a brake. Stay tuned for build progress and target photos. Thoughts?