I am getting started in the long range tactical competition game. I currently have a 308, 10 FCPK that I am considering re-barreling as a 6.5 Creedmore or as a 260. I think the long bullets for the 260 will not fit in a magazine so I’m leaning towards the Creedmore.

This past weekend I watched a tactical match where the targets were set out to 1200 yards. I talked to a guy that has a Savage 300 WM, HS Precision rifle. He had a Badger Brake installed and said it doesn’t kick much. I expect the concussion is something to behold especially if your shooting next to him. Anyway, It looks like the 300 Win Mag is the end game in long distance shooting for the course since the rounds cannot exceed 30 caliber.

I am considering either putting a really nice barrel on my 10 FCP-K (accustock and accutrigger) or selling it and buying a Savage 300 Win Mag HS. I reload for my 308 and would do that for my 6.5 and or 300 Win Mag.

I’m looking for any input on which direction I should go? I do not invite recoil/concussion but I can live with it if it gives me the advantage in windy conditions. I suspect the 6.5 calibers are pretty competitive out to 1000 yards in the wind. I think I will pay for the advantages of the 300 Win Mag in kick and cost per round. Another advantage of buying a 300 Win Mag is I can buy one that is almost ready to shoot. I would have a gunsmith install a break but I think that is about all that would be holding me up. If I re-barrel my 308 as a 6.5 I think my time to range will be longer. I think the barrel wait times are in the months. Then I might consider upgrading the stock at sometime. I think the Accustock contour might limit how thick the barrel can be so what I would buy to put in my Accustock might not be what I would want to put in an upgraded stock. Maybe I need to upgrade the stock and re-barrel at the same time.

If you suggest the 6.5 Creedmore or 260, what barrel would you suggest I buy. I would like it to be a very high quality drop in barrel for my 10 FCP-K Accustock. Weight is not important and maybe heavier is better so I can stay on target and spot my shots. I would like a cut riffle barrel. Be as specific as you can on the barrel recommendation. It would be great if you can provide me with a barrel stock number and a place to order it. I know that is asking a lot but I would appreciate any level of suggestions!

Thanks
Eric