I recently purchased a Savage Model 12 Barrel in .243 from member, SuperChuck here on the forum. The barrel has been sitting in my closet until I got around to putting it on something. Now comes my delima, so here goes.

I found an older Savage in .243, I'm assuming 110 in a pawn shop. This rifle has an aftermarket stainless, fluted barrel on it. I have no ideal who made the barrel as it doesn't have any lettering on it stating who the manufacture is. This is a old rifle that has the drop mag with the release button in the side of the stock. However, the mag release is gone and there is a hole in the side of the wooden stock. It will work if you stick a pen in to engage the mag release. The rifle is a non accutrigger rifle, but the trigger in it doesn't feel like a factory trigger. It's extremely light, I'm guessing around 1 to 1.5 pounds. It feels good, just very light pull on it. The rifle also has Burris bases and rings with an old Japan Tasco target scope on it that appears to work great. The price of this rifle is $399 + tax. Another person has put it in lay away but doesn't for sure if they are going to buy it or not. I'll find out tomorrow if the person is going to purchase it, than I will have the option to buy it if I want. I know nothing about this rifle and do not know how many rounds have been put through the pipe on it.

My next option is a newer 110 Savage in .243, with, at my local gun dealer. It's in like new condition as I looked at it today, and it is being held for me until I am able to find out what happens on the rifle described above tomorrow. Like stated, I already have the Model 12 barrel that has less than 500 rounds through it to go on a rifle, and I can get those changed out and head spaced locally for $30 bucks. This rifle doesn't have optics or anything, but I already have a 3x9x40 Nikon at home ready to put to use. I can get the newer Savage 110 for $329 OTD.

I'm just needed some help deciding which way I should go. The old, wooden stocked Savage missing the mag release that I know nothing about, or a newer Savage I can put my barrel on. Any information is appreciated on this decision making process.