Thread: Pierced Primers and Light Strikes

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

Pierced Primers and Light Strikes

I need some help with a Model-11 Hunter in .223 that I recently bought used, to replace my Rem 700. The Savage does Not have an accutrigger, it has a Basix (set to 3 lb pull) that was supposedly installed by a gunsmith somewhere up in Phoenix. I don't have any issue with it but have read that light trigger settings can lead to light strikes... but that doesn't address the pierced primers problem.

At every range session I have been getting several Light-Strike or Failure-to-Fire with almost all ammo tried. Also when it does fire, a high percentage of pierced primers result. If the primer does not pierce then it usually has a noticeable crater as shown in the pics. Not always but usually. This happens with my reloads as well as commercial and milsurp ammo. My reloads are often well below book max so it’s not like I’m pushing the limits. Also, many milsurp and commercial loads are full power and just crater or pierce.

This same ammo fires without any problems from the Rem 700 and from 6 different AR-15’s I've had for the last 20 years, so it appears to be a problem with the Savage. I have Forster headspace gauges and it closes on the GO and doesn’t on the NO-GO so it appears to be within spec. I have also checked the case shoulder setback with a Dillon case gauge and they look fine.

Dry firing sounds normal with a healthy click. When there is a light-strike, the sound of the click is very light and there is usually only a slight shallow mark on the primer, like when an AR pin sometimes hits when chambering a round. Sometimes it might fire on the 2nd try but several times I have tried 5 times with no success, then put the shell in another gun and it fires fine.

I usually use Winchester primers but have tried CCI, Rem Wolf and S&B with pretty much the same results. (The soft copper colored Wolf don't seem to crater or pierce) Although some of the reloads are at the minimum charge, the primers often look excessively flat and fill the pocket like it was a hot load.

I measured the firing pin protrusion with a depth mic and it is protruding .052”. I have read .036" is preferred by some so I may try that when I pull it apart. I haven’t disassembled the bolt yet but it appears clean in every respect I can see. The gun is only a couple years old (Cabelas special) with low round count. I plan on pulling it apart if necessary to clean, debur etc, but would like to see if there are other ideas or solution first. The stock is original and the bolt handle doesn’t seem to be touching.

This seems to be a common problem by the number of threads with people having similar issues. I have searched thru many threads complaining about light strikes looking for solutions, to no avail.Why hasn’t Savage solved this problem?

What could cause both light strikes AND pierced primers in so many varieties of ammo?
    So far the only causes I can come up with are:

1. The FP is protruding too far, thus not enough travel to develop the energy required to set off the primer.
    2. The FP is protruding too far, Thus when the primer does ignite and is pushed back against the bolt, it is pierced.

Here are some pics..

M193Surplus Hirtenberg commonly pierces or craters primers.

62.FMJ pierced

55.FMJ

55.AcuTip Normal firing but shallow indent

70.JSP Pierced

70.JSP Cratered

I don’t have any pics of the light strikes yet, but thanks for looking and any ideas on what to do next is appreciated.
    Last edited by Rivethead; 02-16-2014 at 12:13 PM.