I'm seriously considering an Axis rifle in either .270 or .308. This rifle will mostly be used for hunting deer/ hogs here in Texas. I am not a hardcore hunter, but I do occasionally hunt a couple times a year. The main thing I like about the Axis is the price. I'm not wanting to get a ton of money tied up in a rifle that will be used a couple times a year. Truth be told, the Axis will likely be my secondary rifle. My primary rilfe will be my 40+ yr old Marlin 336 (was my father's rilfe and I can't stand the thought of leaving it behind in the gun cabnet). I do, on occasion, have the oportunity to hunt in places where a 200+ yrd shot is necessary and that ol' 30-30 just can't quite reach.

I know that the Axis has a solid track record of being a good shooter and has been very reliable from what I can tell. I do see that a lot of members here have really put some time and effort into some very creative modifications to the stock and trigger to make this gun better. While I can certianly respect and understand the joy of tinkering with something to make it better, personally I'd like to just open the box, mount some optics and head to the woods. I want to know how many of those modifications are really necessary for an Axis to be a solid performing hunting rifle. How many guys are hunting with an Axis in it's original un-modified stock? How is it working for you?

Personally, I see a trigger mod to reduce the weight down to 3-4 lbs is almost a requirement and I don't mind doing that modification, but how necessary is it to stiffen the stock or replace it if? Is the Axis stock out of the box adiquate to shoot from a deer stand or would it be best modify it or swap it out for one of the Boyd's stocks. I guess I am leery when I see folks here on this board referr to the stock as "Tupperware" and "Flex-o-Matic." It makes me think that it's just not up to the task without some tinkering. I'm not knocking the Axis, this is just the impression that comments from Axis owners have left me with.

If the modifications to the stock on the Axis aren't really necessary make it a straight shooter and put meat on the table, then the Axis really becomes even more appealing than it already is. I've held the Axis and felt the stock, but obviously that was only in the store and that only tells part of the story.

Sorry for such a long post (my first on the board), but I do appreciate any advice/ opinions. So fire away!